Free Valuation

Quick Search

Refine News

St Mary’s Convent School Sells To Create Retirement Village

We have recently agreed the sale of the main part of St Mary’s Convent School, Mount Battenhall, Battenhall Avenue, Worcester.

St. Mary’s Convent School has been sold to the Enterprise Property Group Ltd., Cambridge.

During the planning process the scheme received considerable consideration from the planning authorities for the use of the property in a very sensible way, especially as it benefits the community. 

Planning consent was granted for the demolition of modern structures, conversion, change of use and new build to create a care community with communal areas and facilities. The main Grade II listed house remains, parts of which will provide the communal use. 

There is some 150 years of history at St Mary’s. St Mary’s Convent School was originally Battenhall Mount, an impressive house built around 1865-9 for William Spriggs, a Quaker and Worcester Clothier, in the Italian style popularised by Prince Albert. In the 1890’s the house was enlarged in matching style by the architect John Henry Williams of Foregate Street, Worcester, for the Hon. Alfred Percy Allsopp. Allsopp was a local brewer who owned the Star Hotel. He was Mayor of Worcester in 1892, 1894 and 1905. The original house is now incorporated into the South West corner of the property. The building was used as a convalescent home during the First World War. It then became the home of the Sisters of St Marie Madeleine Postel, a Roman Catholic Teaching Order, in 1933. St Mary’s was a popular and well-regarded independent nursery and school until its closure in 2014. A large Victorian property opposite was purchased for the development of the Prep School. The Early Years Department was housed in buildings which comprised of former stables with hay loft over, a carriage house with groom’s quarters over and washing bay to front, and the sick bay and forge, all circa 1893. 

The main school on which the planning was granted comprises not only an historic house which was the main school building but also the nursery, the lodge and cottage with a total area of about 6.4 acres or thereabouts. The buildings extended to some 44,712 sq ft. 

The planning granted was for 100 units together with the communal areas. 

The sale was conducted through Andrew Grant Commercial and Residential Department and had a guide price including the junior school (not included in present sale) of offers over £4,000,000. 

 

Share this article

Other News Items

  • Estate Agents really do make dreams come true

  • Worcester lettings market overview

  • Feckenham Horse Show

Free Valuation

click here to find what
your property's worth

Buy

Sell

Information

Services

Rent

This site uses features that require cookies to be stored on your machine. To enable these features, click 'OK'

For more information on cookies and the features that use them please click here.