Free Valuation

Quick Search

Refine News

Stay Safe!

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas, inhalation can prove fatal in a matter of minutes. The gas can be emitted from a faulty cooking or heating appliances.

What is it?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that can be emitted from faulty cooking or heating appliances that are powered by a carbon-based fuel such as gas, coal, petrol, diesel, wood etc. If a chimney, flue or vent become blocked oxygen levels drop and carbon monoxide is produced which can build up in enclosed spaces. The gas is totally odourless, cannot be tasted when breathing in and can kill in minutes.

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms, can be similar to flu, but can also include palpitations, chest pain and collapse without losing consciousness. If you fear you have been exposed to the gas get fresh air immediately and open doors and windows. Turn off gas appliances and seek medical advice. It is important to get tested quickly as carbon monoxide leaves the system quickly.

How to prevent it?
Get your gas appliances regularly serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in each room with a heating or cooking appliance that uses a carbon-based fuel. Don’t rely on detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. Alarms cost around £15.

From the 1st October 2015 legislation was introduced that requires carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in rooms with solid fuel appliances in rented residential accommodation.

For further information for landlords please click here

Share this article

Other News Items

  • The heat is on!

  • In today's current market you need a killer agent!

  • Give a gift that really counts this Xmas

Free Valuation

click here to find what
your property's worth

Buy

Sell

Information

Services

Rent

This site uses features that require cookies to be stored on your machine. To enable these features, click 'OK'

For more information on cookies and the features that use them please click here.