Make your property top of the young professional’s shortlist
Tue, Oct 01, 2019
The rental market is expanding across all age groups, but young adults for the foreseeable future still make up a solid proportion of core renters as they struggle to get onto the property owning ladder.
But being a ‘captive market’ doesn’t make them any less discerning about the quality of lets they’re looking for, especially with rents rising across the whole the UK (in the West Midlands rents have seen gains of almost 13% over the past year).
Property managers have always advised landlords that well-presented, thoughtfully equipped properties will attract optimum rent, and high quality tenants over a longer term. So how can you make your property top the shortlist of a high-value young renter?
- Wired internet access (in addition to high-speed wifi) – while this has a broad appeal, for many young professional sometimes working from home and needing reliable, uninterrupted internet access this can be a must-have.
- Hard flooring – easier to maintain and more hygienic than carpet, it also allows more flexibility to change décor with rugs.
- Well-equipped kitchens – forget the image of students living on Pot Noodles; today’s young adults expect the ability to cook like Jamie Oliver (even if they rarely actually do). Modern kitchen units with integrated washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers will tick their boxes.
- Bathrooms – should be modern and spotless, with high-pressure power showers and rainfall shower heads a popular choice.
- Cleaning services – students and young professionals can be time-poor; consider building in a weekly cleaning service as an additional benefit to both tenant and the upkeep of the property.
information taken from Landlord Today